Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I apologize for using NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) abbreviations in my previous posts. Prior to living in the NICU for eight weeks, I didn't even know they had their own language. Now I talk like I've majored it.

Anyway, today was a good day. The Physical Therapist, Speech Therapist and Therapy Coordinator came for Elizabeth's evaluation this morning. She starts physical therapy next Monday at 1:30, probably on a weekly basis. During her evaluation, Elizabeth acted honery. She closed her eyes and avoided them all. She got the hiccups and followed them up with a desat and brady. You know that makes everyone a little bit nervous. We all seemed to agree that Elizabeth does NOT like visitors. She has the "dangerous hiccups" more when guests are here. I read at Kid'sHealth.com that the hiccups can be triggered by being nervous or upset. So, I asked some other NICU parents about this. Was it possible that Elizabeth was upset, or was I just over analyzing again? Every parent responded that their child had an aversion to strangers when they came home. Anywhere from six months to a year.

We discovered that one of the new g-tubes (tube that connects to her feeding button) did not fit properly after we started the feeding. Formula soaked Elizabeth. So she had a bath, which is a long procedure, and we got another tube to finish her feeding.

We can't decide if Elizabeth is starting to brady (bradycardia- where her heart rate drops below 80) or not. In the past the only time she had a brady was when she had a desat (desaturation - when her oxygen level drops below 80%). Now we're not sure if the bradys are real or a monitor error. I changed several different things on the monitor. So now, we'll just wait and see.

The girls and I went out to eat with some friends tonight. It was fun. Stacy stayed home to babysit.

I have posted some new pictures with the grandparents in them. Can you guess which parents belong to me and which ones belong to Stacy? It's pretty tricky!

No comments: